I recently went through and captured screenshots from various clips made of the game over the years. Starting with the earliest release, and ending with the latest!
It’s wild to me that this project has gone on for that long, and yet it still feels like things are just getting started. I guess that’s game development for ya.
Long live The Dog!
- Fixed an issue where Weaken Armor was not being reduced by the correct amount from Smith.
- NPC Health gained from Time Played uses a new formula that scales up quickly within the first 24 hours.
- This bonus still caps out at 10K (Actual Enemy Health can exceed this amount.)
- NPC Lifetime gained from Time Played scales twice as fast.
- Burning now deals a random amount of damage between 30 and the value of Enemy Power squared.
- Armor Weakening increases damage dealt to Armor by 250% (Previously, this value scaled with the number of Weaken stacks.)
- Knights perform Sundering Kicks, which have a 50% chance to apply Armor Weakening to the Dog.
- Fixed a file IO crash.
- Updated a few links to use https.
- Fixed an issue where quest completion feedback was not being sent.
- Fixed an issue where active quests for players were not always being updated.
Overall this update makes Pet and Dig more productive, and makes Pray, Smith, and Cop less productive. It also updates Charms to make them more effective.
- Swords are consumed after 30 Cop Work. (Previously, 60 Cop Work)
- The Dog will find 1 additional resource per 15 Pet Work (Previously, 30 Pet Work) when sniffing.
- The chance to find buried Gems is now 0.5% per Sniff (Previously, 1% per Sniff)
- Ore and Bones are unearthed after 15 Dig Work. (Previously, 30 Dig Work)
- No longer simultaneously grants Dog XP and reduces Enemy Power XP. Instead, Pray will prioritize Enemy Power XP if present, and Dog XP otherwise.
- Offerings now grant 2 seconds of Bone XP to the Dog. (Previously 3 seconds)
- No longer simultaneously creates Armor and Swords. Instead, Smith will randomly create 1 Sword or 30 Armor per 30 Smith Work.
- Frenzy Claimables:
- Gavel, Forge, Treat, Incense, and Drill now provide 5 Charms per stack claimed. (Previously, 10 Charms per stack)
- Charms now take 100 work to consume.
- UI now shows progress towards consuming a Charm.
- Dig Charm produces 20 Bones or Ore.
- Spirit Charm produces 20 seconds of Dog XP.
- Jail Charm produces 300 Jail Health.
- Armor Charm produces 300 Armor.
- Friendship Charm produces 300 Friendship.
The Dog returns from their winter break, and is excited to see you again!
…But that excitement may be quickly broken, as their enemies find new ways to survive and grow powerful.
It’s been a while! I hope you have been doing well. If you’re not doing well, that’s okay too. When it comes to the Dog, I’m feeling refreshed. I’ve had some time to think about what to work on next while I playtest, tweak, and fix issues.
Future Update: Reward Chests
For the next update, v97, the Dog levelling up will grant Chests as rewards instead of directly awarding the same item to all players. Chests get sent to your mailbox, and can be opened at any time.
The other major change to rewards being introduced is ⭐Star XP. Equipment will need ⭐XP to reach the next ⭐Star Tier. Equipment will no longer require an UPGRADE to progress to the next ⭐Tier and will no longer reset to Equipment Level 1 when reaching a new Star Tier. This allows you to open chests from your mailbox without worry that more Mailbox space will be taken up. Note: You can still use the UPGRADE command to exchange Gems and Gold for Equipment Levels, or to progress to the next ⭐Tier.
That’s all the news from me for now. Let me know what thoughts or questions you have about these changes on Discord. More will be shared in the Discord channel in the coming weeks, including when you can expect the update to drop.
See y’all soon.
- When the Dog levels up, a Shining Bone is dropped.
- Can be claimed with the code SHINE.
- When claimed: Enemy Power is reduced by 1, and Friendship is increased by +1% per stack.
- Dig charms now produce a bone rather than produce DIG work.
- Player Fugitive and Prisoner status are cleared on login.
- Tiles (Such as Enemy Waves, or Golden Dog) in the Tile Tray at the bottom of the screen move more quickly.
- Pet reduces 1 Enemy Power XP for every 10 Pet Work.
- Each Kick and Riot level permanently increases your Max Fugitive Health by 1.
- Riot produces 90% less Enemy Power XP.
- Riot now actually has a chance to break an individual out of jail.
- I wrote it worked like this a long time ago but it was untrue so basically I lied to you all on the commands page can’t believe you fell for that haha just kidding I’m sorry here it is working now please don’t be mad
- When you break out of jail, your character automatically enters Stealth for 5 minutes.
New Onyx items can be found.
- New Item: Chaos Fragment ⭐⭐
- Passive: +5 Riot Power. +5% Chance to escape Jail with Riot.
- On Level Up: +0.1 Riot Power
- New Item: Rage Fragment ⭐⭐
- Passive: +5 Kick Power. +5% of Kick damage is converted into Fugitive Health.
- On Level Up: +0.1 Kick Power
- New Item: Thieve’s Mask ⭐⭐⭐
- Passive: +25 Fugitive Health. 5% Chance to ignore damage to Fugitive Health.
- On Level Up: +1 Fugitive Health. +0.25% Chance to ignore damage to Fugitive Health.
- Chaining: Deals 20% reduced chaining damage. (80% Damage)
View all Items
- Enemy NPC Health scales with Time Played.
- Enemy Waves spawn about every 3 minutes.
- Player Enemies no longer take reduced damage.
- Fixed an issue causing Item Upgrade costs to be more expensive than intended.
Quality of Life
- End of Game: Added Chat messaging at the end of the game that mentions the time played, the Dog Level reached, and the top Friend and Enemy players.
- Fugitives: Added a Chat Message that tells you to apologize after becoming a Fugitive.
- Skill Inspection: The Skill command will give you a realtime update on your stats instead of showing the stat value provided by your Skill.
- Loadouts: Loadout swapping no longer deposits items that are already equipped and in your target loadout. This makes it so that you can repeatedly type an action like ‘COP’ without it cancelling item effects due to swapping.
- UI: Item-stars are colored differently based on Tier to make them easier to distinguish.
- UI: You can see the meters for claimable items that are not the foremost item.
- UI: You can see the icons for claimable items that are not the foremost item.
- ‘Recent Contributions’ leaderboard added. This will show how much the last few players to join the game have contributed since they were added to the leaderboard.
- Reduced the amount of XP indicator spam (both from Players and from Modifiers)
- Fixed an issue where Kick and Riot leaderboards were not attributing actions correctly, resulting in inflated numbers. A leaderboard revamp + reset will come in a future release.
- Fixed an issue where The Dog is Leaving message would only trigger once per game.
- Fixed an issue where Daily Quests could reset twice if a player was online at midnight server time.
- Fixed some UI elements that would sometimes not transition their Time of Day style correctly.
See Items page for updated item descriptions.
- Item effects are now cancelled when unequipped. This notably prevents the Rapid -> Chain combo, which took advantage of the fact that Rapid items would continue to fire after being unequipped.
- Now deals an automatic critical hit and deals more damage per item level.
- Now provides Contribution, and has a flat 40% chance to trigger and their Power increases with item level. Soul items will also provide Modifier XP where applicable instead of just the base Modifier (Spirit, Armor, Jail Health).
- Spirit inspection now shows XP progress.
- Armor, Spirit, and Jail Health take dramatically longer to level up, but have dramatically higher maximum stack increases each level.
- Pray reduces the time between Spirit attacks at a ratio of 1 second to 30 Work.
- Charms are now consumed at a ratio of 1 Charm to 30 Work.
- Charms are now activated as a projectile to better show their effect.
- Reduced the visual intensity of Spirit attack projectiles.
- New! Structures can generate Items that, when claimed, add Charms and trigger a Frenzy for that specific structure which increases Work Speed for those nearby. These items can be claimed separately from Riches (Gems, Gold).
- Bones once again provide more points the more players are claiming the item.
- Claim Power for items in the Items category increases with more players claiming. Claim Power can boost certain effects of claimed items, and also increase the speed at which it is claimed.
- Enemy health scales twice as fast as previously.
- Enemy actions are taken twice as slow. (e.g. 4 seconds per action, up from 2 seconds)
- Additional enemy types (e.g. Corruptor, Knight) now appear at higher Enemy Power levels than previous.
- Knights no longer apply the Weaken Armor debuff.
- Corruptors now randomly add either the Burn or Weaken Armor debuff.
This iteration targeted two main goals:
1) Provide consistent rewards for defenders, so that defending does not punish rate of rewards over time.
2) Balance so that Dog defenses such as Cop, Smith, and Pray are less one-sided / more contested by enemies.
- Golden Dog adds to the number of Rewards that are available when the Dog levels up (See Events for more details about Golden Dog)
- Number of choices during Rewards scales with Dog Level.
- 1-40: Provides a random reward
- 41-80: 2 Choices
- 81-100: 3 Choices
- 101+: 4 Choices
- PICK A’ has a chance to reward 50 or 100 Gold.
- A Gold Chest can now spawn from the other options. The Gold Chest contains 250 Gold.
The UI display at the bottom of the screen, which has historically displayed when enemies will spawn, now also shows when Events will spawn. The underlying system has been updated to function more like a conveyor belt that moves Tiles across the screen and spawns them when they touch the left edge. Previously, this system was entirely time based, so tiles could overlap and be hard to read on screen. Now Tiles will shove other tiles out of the way if they overlap, to make space on the metaphorical ‘belt’.
- New Tile: Golden Dog
- Roughly every 20 minutes, a Golden Dog tile is added.
- While active, the Dog rapidly decreases any Anger added to them and all skills (except Riot and Kick) gain increased speed for 1 minute.
- Adds +1 Chest Reward when the Dog Levels Up.
Enemies are now overall more threatening to the Dog.
- Enemy tiles are added in more varieties.
- Enemy Power now always starts at 1 (Previously, set to 1 on first Dog kick)
- Friendship no longer decays from Enemy Power increasing.
- XP required to increase Enemy Power scales much slower at higher levels.
- For reference- Level 10 now requires about 3/4 the previous amount of XP required, whereas Level 20 requires about 1/5th of the previous amount.
- Enemies spawn in greater quantities as Enemy Power increases.
- Demon Enemies: (Bombs, Corruptors) +1 Spawn every 5 Enemy Power. Max: 7.
- Heavy Humanoid: (Knights) +1 Spawn every 4 Enemy Power. Max: 16.
- Humanoid: (Fugitives, Prisoners, Arsonists) +1 Spawn every 3 Enemy Power. Max: 16.
- Debuffs added by enemies now scales with Enemy Power.
- Enemy Tiles spawn more frequently at higher Enemy Power. (Previously, -5 seconds per EP, Now: -10 seconds per EP)
- Corrupted Knight base health reduced to 25 from 50.
- Corruptor and Bomb base health reduced to 50 from 100.
Cop, Smith, Pray
- These skills have had their associated modifiers (Jail Health/Armor/Spirit) balanced to take longer to level up.
- Spirit leveling works like Armor / Jail Health now.
- Spirit now ‘trades’ with Debuffs rather than damaging them. (Example: If 1K Anger were present, and Spirit was > 1K, Anger would all be removed on hit by Spirit, but consume 1K Spirit).
- You can now inspect Enemy Power via
ins enemy power
Quality of Life
- Keyword Loadouts are now supported. This allows you to quickly swap to a set of items when you enter a specific keyword in chat.
Example of setting a Keyword Loadout:
dxraider: load pet aea aeb aec aed aee
BOTdktdbot: @dxraider ☑️ ‘pet’ loadout set: (AEA) [6⭐ Chaining Cop Lv.60/60],(AEB) [6⭐ Chaining Dig Lv.60/60],(AEC) [6⭐ Chaining Pet Lv.60/60],(AED) [6⭐ Chaining Pray Lv.60/60],(AEE) [6⭐ Chaining Smith Lv.60/60] | Type UNLOAD pet to unset this loadout.
Typing ‘pet’ would then equip the items specified on the loadout. This effectively allows you to change which items are equipped based on the action you want to take.
Currently supported Keywords: cop, smith, pet, pray, dig, kick, riot, sorry
Interested to hear thoughts on whether Keyword Loadouts are useful in the Discord.
In this update, we’re going back to something that hasn’t been in the game for a while: having the Dog survive for as long as possible.
- Difficulties, and Difficulty Power have been removed.
- START now only takes 1 Work.
- You can no longer perform Work Actions in the lobby.
- The Dog now levels up by gaining experience.
- Every time the Dog levels up, players may choose an item reward.
- The Dog has no level cap, and a final tier has been added: Endless Dog starting at Level 121.
- pick is now used to choose a reward (Previously, this was vote)
- Once all eligible players have picked their reward, the vote will end.
- The first reward slot is always a specific equipment or Gem, while Chests can roll any 1-5 star item of the matching color.
- While the Dog has not been kicked, there is a chance they will drop Gems or Gold periodically.
- Heart Points have been removed.
- Anger is now added when the Dog receives Kicks without Armor.
- The Dog begins to leave when it is Angry, and must be calmed down with Pet within 60 seconds.
- If the Dog leaves, the run is over.
- Each stack increases damage dealt to Armor by +1%.
- Continually shoots Fire at the Dog. Fire decreases Armor, or increases Anger if Armor is depleted. Burn stacks have a chance to increase every time the Dog is hit by Fire.
End of Game
- The game ends when the Dog leaves.
- Items are no longer awarded at the end of the game.
- Prestige Points are awarded at the end of the game based on your Contribution and the Dog level reached.
- Enemy Health has been rebalanced around Enemy Power.
- Enemies have a chance to drop Gold or Gems when defeated.
- Time between enemy spawns is much longer now, to start.
- The first time the Dog is Kicked, Enemy Power is raised to 1.
- Enemy Power gains experience and levels up with Kick and Riot. More Enemy power XP is added via Kick.
- Enemy Power increases Enemy Damage and Health, and decreases time between enemy waves.
- Increasing Enemy Power releases a wave that heals enemies, reduces a fraction of Friendship and Spirit.
New Enemy: Corrupted Knight
- Beefy enemies that can add the Weaken Armor debuff when they Kick.
- Players are now stunned for a period of time after reaching 0 Fugitive Health.
- If a player Riots or Kicks, they will be marked as a Fugitive. Fugitives can be targetted by Spirit. Note this means that rioting while in prison may make you a target of Spirit.
Reduced Player Damage
- Players take only 10% of normal damage to their Fugitive Health.
- Automatically added to structures via DIG. Charms are consumable buffs that grant a bonus effect for doing Work.
- Charms have been renamed to reflect their bonus, and have a color to indicate what Structure they are for.
- Shovel Charms no longer spawn naturally, but can still be added by Charming Dig.
- Charm bonuses have been reworked.
- Charms no longer expire or decay.
- 1 Charm is now consumed per Action.
- Generates +100 Friendship per Charm consumed.
- Available for Pet and Pray.
- Generates +100 Armor, and +100 Armor Xp per Charm consumed.
- Available for Smith and Pet.
- Generates +100 Spirit per Charm consumed.
- Available for Pray and Pet.
- Digs up 1 item per Charm consumed
- Available only for Dig.
- Does not spawn naturally.
- Generates +100 Jail Health, and +100 Jail Xp per Charm consumed.
- Available for Cop and Smith.
- Pet, Smith, Pray, Cop, and Dig now all have infinite health.
- Skill cap for all skills is increased to 100.
- Starting Power has been increased for all Skills to 5.
- Each Action now produces a random amount of Work between 1 and your Skill Power.
- All work sites can be inspected to have the bot send information about the game to chat via the new
ins) command, e.g.
- Jail Health now has a cap that increases with Jail Level.
- Jail XP is granted by performing Cop Work, or by consuming Jail Charms.
- Armor now has a cap that increases with Armor Level.
- Armor XP is granted by performing Smith Work, or by consuming Armor Charms.
- While the Dog is Angry, Pet Work will target Anger instead of Friendship.
- Spirit now does Work based on Spirit Power.
- Spirit Power increases when the Spirit Meter is filled.
- Spirit decays over time, and each time it decays it performs an Action that prioritizes different targets.
- Spirit Actions add Friendship unless there are Enemies or Debuffs.
- Spirit Actions prioritize Debuffs over NPCs, and NPCs over Players.
- Spirit decay is stronger with higher Enemy Power.
- DIG automatically adds Charms, rather than adding them to the claim queue (See Charms section for more Charm changes).
- Drops Bones, which add 5 seconds worth of Experience to the Dog each. The total XP value of the stack of Bones is reflected on screen.
- Drops a selection of Gems rarely. The selection rotates based on the day of the week.
- Inspecting Dig shows info about the first 5 claimable items.
- Generates 2 Enemy Power XP per Kick.
- Generates 1 Enemy Power XP per Riot.
- Items now additionally cost Gold to level up.
- Finding a duplicate of an item that is already Level 60 will award Gems equal to the item’s base Star level. (So for example, a duplicate of a 3-Star item would give 3 Gems)
You may safely
dxraider: recycle afa
BOTdktdbot: @dxraider ♻️ Type RECYCLENOW AFA to recycle (From Bank) (AFA) [1⭐ Recharging Cop Lv.1/10] x1 and receive: Gold x10
recycle these items for Gems/Gold, as they will no longer serve a purpose.
Now deprecated, since structures no longer have health.
- (AFA) [Recharging Cop]
- (AFE) [Recharging Smith]
- (AFC) [Recharging Pet]
- (AFD) [Recharging Pray]
- (AFB) [Recharging Dig]
- Onyx Gems and Items have been added to the game. Onyx items pertain to both Riot and Kick Actions.
- Kick and Riot variants of this item have been added.
- Kick and Riot variants of this item have been added.
- Kick and Riot variants of this item have been added.
- USE: <Action> becomes Hastened, performing faster for 60 seconds. The effect is removed if this item is unequipped.
- Base Cooldown: 150s
- Speed Increase: +100
- USE: <Action> becomes Empowered, dealing increased damage for 60 seconds. The effect is removed if this item is unequipped.
- Base Cooldown: 150s
- Power Increase: +60
- No longer allows you to perform an action from ‘anywhere’.
- Adds 5 Charms instead of 1.
- Now uses the Skill Level of the chained Skill to deal damage instead of copying the original damage.
- Now rewards Gems in addition to Gold.
- The minimum number of backpack slots has been increased to 3 up from 1.
- No longer upgradeable.
- The Bank now holds up to 56 unique items for all players.
- No longer costs Gold to increase Prestige Level.
- Max space for Gems increased to 9,999.
- Gems can no longer be stored in the mailbox.
dxraider: bank 1⭐
BOTdktdbot: @dxraider 🏦 Items Matching ‘1⭐’ : | ▪️ (AED) [1⭐ Chaining Pray Lv.4/10] | ▪️ (ADE) [1⭐ Rapid Smith Lv.2/10] | ▪️ (ADD) [1⭐ Rapid Pray Lv.2/10] | ▪️ (AEE) [1⭐ Chaining Smith Lv.1/10] | ▪️ (AEA) [1⭐ Chaining Cop Lv.3/10] | 🎒 (ADB) [1⭐ Rapid Dig Lv.2/10] | 🎒 (AEB) [1⭐ Chaining Dig Lv.2/10]
- The bank command has been upgraded to accept a
<search filter> so that you can view specific items in your bank, rather than having to check pages.
- The way item names are displayed in chat has been updated to be more consistent across bot messages.
dxraider: inspect pet
BOTdktdbot: ℹ️ The Dog is receiving 248 experience per second from Friendship.
- The item command has been deprecated. Please use inspect instead! Inspect does everything item used to, but can be used on a wider variety of things, such as structures.
- Whenever someone cheers 100 bits or more, a hype celebration is triggered in game.